Originally from Alsace-Lorraine in eastern France, Michaël Engelmann is a Master Sommelier who counts more than 20 years of experience working in restaurants and hospitality across the world. In 2009, he won the title of Best Sommelier in America and went on to pass the Master Sommelier Diploma Examination on his first try, thereby winning the coveted Krug Cup.
Engelmann is a recipient of the Johnston Medal and was named a Rudd Scholar, as well as one of five “Best New Sommeliers” by Wine & Spirits magazine. Engelmann has worked as the wine director at award-winning restaurants like Rockpool Bar & Grill in Sydney; Danny Meyer’s Union Square Hospitality Group in NYC, which includes the Michelin-starred The Modern; and Wine Spectator-affiliated WS New York and The Tavern in Hudson Yards. In addition to serving as a guest speaker, educator, and judge, Engelmann consults on wine programs around the globe.
Awards & Press
- Master Sommelier | Court of Master Sommeliers
- Johnston Medal Recipient | Guild of Sommeliers
- Rudd Round Table Scholarship Winner | Rudd Foundation
- “Best Sommelier in America” | American Sommelier Association (2009)
- Voted one of five “Best New Sommeliers” | Wine & Spirits Magazine (2009)